Antibiotics and Probiotics
El Camino Hospital in Silicon Valley have instituted an automatic ordering for probiotics any time a certain class of antibiotics are requested from the pharmacy. This is in light of the more recent data that has been published showing the benefits probiotics when on antibiotics, in order to reduce the risk if diarrhea and colitis. This is the reason why we recommend and strongly urge each patient to use a probiotic when any antibiotics is prescribed. Whether its probiotic “shots”, greek yogurt or any dairy products with “live cultures”, there are some benefits to using these supplements. Additionally, Florastor has been clinically proven to be very effective.
Florastor® is the #1 probiotic choice of most pharmacists. They have been around since 1953 with people of all ages taking Florastor daily to promote whole-body health. Florastor is made with all-natural ingredients. Here is some of the data behind this product:
- Joint FAO/WHO Working Group on Drafting Guidelines for the Evaluation of Probiotics in Food (2008) Guidelines for the Evaluation of Probiotics in Food. London Ontario, Canada: FAO/WHO.
- Pharmacy Today (2011) Pharmacists’ Pick of the Top OTCs, #1 pharmacist recommended OTC.
- Klein SM, Elmer GW, McFarland LV, Surawicz CM, Levy RH (1993) Recovery and elimination of the biotherapeutic agent, Saccharomyces boulardii, in healthy human volunteers. Pharm Res 10: 1615-1619.
- Swidsinski A, Loening-Baucke V, Verstraelen H, Osowska S, Doerffel Y (2008) Biostructure of fecal microbiota in healthy subjects and patients with chronic idiopathic diarrhea. Gastroenterology: 135(2): 568-579.
- Schneider SM, Girard-Pipau F, Filippi J, Hebuterne X, Moyse D, et al. (2005) Effects of Saccharomyces boulardii on fecal short-chain fatty acids and microflora in patients on long-term total enteral nutrition. World J Gastroenterol 11: 6165-6169.
- Martins FS, Silva AA, Vieira AT, Barbosa FH, Arantes RM, et al. (2009) Comparative study of Bifidobacterium animalis, Escherichia coli, Lactobacillus casei and Saccharomyces boulardii probiotic properties. Arch Microbiol 191: 623-630.
- Vandenplas Y, Brunser O, Szajewska H (2009) Saccharomyces boulardii in childhood. Eur J Pediatr 168: 253-265.
Comments are closed.